- Find one news articles that you consider is definitely hard news and explain why (include the characteristics of what a hard news article is). Provide a link for the article.
- Find one news articles that you consider is definitely soft news and explain why (include the characteristics of what a soft news article is). Provide a link for the article.
- Find one news article where you think the line between whether it is hard or soft news is blurred. Then make a decision on how you would categorize the article based on the tone of the article and its purpose. Provide a link to the article.
- Deadline: Next Monday, October 30
EXAMPLE (SOFT NEWS)
This article on the People site, "Meet the World's Longest Cat, Stewie," is definitely soft news. It is amusing and includes an entertaining photo. The article is casual in its presentation (headline), and it is a human-interest story. Or, should I say, a pet-interest story? The story has some of the characteristics of a hard news story, as it presents the basic information. However, the quotations from its sources are more entertaining than useful, and the article does not go into any depth on the issue it is covering. This is one soft news story where the type of story it is can be based solely on the topic and the headline.
5 pts each for a total of 20 pts
- All the work is complete and includes one soft news and one hard news and one in the "blur zone"
- There is evidence of much thought and overall effort in the selection of the articles and the reasoning behind the chosen categories
- The student shows a clear understanding of hard vs. soft news
- There are less than three grammatical errors or sentence structure issues